No two life experiences are the same. This is the case with blogs and bloggers. Everybody writes. Whether they write because it’s the job or because they want to share their experience & thoughts with the rest of the world. Every blog has an audience.
Now here’s the real question: Did you build your blog from scratch keeping in mind the kind of audience you wanted or did you just do it and then realised, what do I do with my audience?.
This article will address both the issues which are
Path 1: Building a platform with an audience in mind.
Path 2: How to make it a platform after you realised that you have an audience.
People on path 1, here’s how you go about it:
- Stop thinking about creating a blog. You have a long way to go.
- First, build you profile on three platforms (Facebook, Twitter & LinkedIn). We can move on to other platforms later.
- Tailor your profile in such a way that you attract a majority of the audience you would want.
- Follow pages that might peek your interest and your audiences interest.
- Comment on them and share those.
- Join discussions.
- You have great groups here and they are very specific.
- Join them and participate in discussions.
- Build your network slowly and carefully.
- Remember this is a professional network.
- Follow your persons of interest and tweet, retweet, like & share their stuff. They will automatically start following you.
- Find articles that would be appealing to them, tag them and post it.
- Use platforms like Klout to find influencers and good content.
- Add them to your network and talk about their topics of interest.
Continue to do this for at least 3-4 months and you would see a solid increase in the quality and quantity of your network.
All of the above-mentioned steps would be a foundation for your platform. Now you have an audience. This is the right time to start working on your blog and do remember, have at least 7-8 articles before you post them on your blog. This would let the visitors to your website know that they have something to look at other than just the one article.
Once you have all of the above things lined up, post the link on all your platforms. People will start paying attention slowly.Initially, you will get an erratic no of visitors for the first couple of months. As you keep generating good content you will draw more visitors and search engines will work in your favor. This has worked very well for me and I would suggest you guys to give it a try.
People on path 2, here’s how you go about it:
- See which posts have got the maximum number of shares, likes & comments. Find a pattern.
- Use those insights to generate content in similar areas which in turn would spark a conversation.
- Post your content on LinkeIn as well. You will attract a different audience there.
- Think about reaching a wider audience either by expanding your niche or by guest blogging.
- Create a content schedule and make sure you stick to it. Timely updating of your blog will keep your audience engaged.
There are many ways to grow an audience. The ones I have suggested give you an introduction on how to kick things off.
The key takeaway here is the whole concept of creating a blog is for your Audience. Nothing else matters. If you are not there for them then don’t bother.