You have invested time and money to create core strategies for your content. This is what comes next. Consider this as the final touch up to your content.This will make your content suitable for search engines and all other things that are necessary to ensure that your content reaches the right audience.
So why is optimizing your content important? Let me explain this in a way that appeals to all of you. Consider yourself sitting in a restaurant and you browse through the menu to find something that would entice your taste buds. Now after a long wait, your food arrives. You see that you got what you ordered but you are confused as to why it looks different. It tastes as it is supposed to, it smells as it is supposed to but it doesn’t look presentable.
The same thing happens to your content. No matter how good it is, how informative, how elegant & how relevant it is, it won’t matter if you do not present it well. I have read so many articles , good articles which I believe lost their lackluster as I was almost halfway through because it wasn’t structured properly, or because it didn’t have a proper flow or because it had irrelevant advertisements on the side.
No matter which of the above-mentioned factor it was, your content didn’t achieve its true purpose. This is why this topic is important in so many subtle ways. So how do we proceed?
- You have understood who is your target audience.
- Which one of Earned, Owned, Paid media you would want to invest in first.
- You have figured out what type of content you want to put out there.
Next is finding a proper voice for your content. When someone reads it to you, it should feel as if you are listening to a chorus. Even the slightest distraction will throw if off and would make you open your eyes. This is what happens to readers when your content is not optimised properly.
This is the reason why optimising your content is so important. Here are a few things that you can do to ensure that.
- Have a good picture and a catchy title. Not always necessary but try hard to get there.
- Give a proper meta tag for the picture.
- Write a small excerpt of your content so that it gives a snapshot of your content to people browsing online.
- Have proper headings in your content. It should not just have paragraphs after paragraphs.
- I would highly recommend one or two videos if it makes sense to put them there.
- Do not focus too much on technical terms thinking that the search engines will rank you higher for doing that.
- Relevant advertisements.
- A comments section for your audience to engage.
- Social share buttons.
- Set aside a couple of hours so that someone can read it to you. This will give you a sense of what your content actually sounds like to the reader.
- And finally, perform a spell check.
As you can see it is not that hard to apply the steps mentioned above to your content but it does take effort and consistency is always the key. It will take time to figure out how to optimize your content but as you keep doing it you get better and better at it.Things mentioned above would help you get started. You have to figure out how to better optimize your content in the long run.